1.11.2013

snowmen!

We are back to school in full swing this week.  Our theme for the next couple weeks is all things winter!  So first up this week was snowmen!
 
I decorated my door for the occasion!  I made this snowman using 2 pieces of white poster board.  Then I added her accessories.  I used coffee filters to make snowflakes to put all over the door as well.  It now has more snowflakes and in the center of each one is a pic of each student in my class.  I also added some mittens to the snowman! 

This was our snow sensory bin.  The kids had a blast with this.  It is filled with cotton balls, several sizes of styrofoam balls, white foam snowflakes, white beads and white buttons.  There are 2 spoons and clear dishes for them to scoop "snow" into.

We made a snowflake letter.  I drew the letter of each students name with a white crayon on blue construction paper.  Then using a spool and white paint, they stamped snowflakes all along the line.  

The students had to cut out three circles and then decorate them to look like a snowman.  We glued them together and now they are hanging all around our classroom. 

One of my classes had to delay our Christmas party due to bad weather before break.  So we had a winter celebration on the first day back.  This was our special snack.  I gave each of the kids 6 slices of banana and all the fixins to decorate 2 snowmen.  We had raisin eyes, m&m buttons, twizzler scarves and pretzel arms! 

We also enjoyed some great snowman books...
There Was a Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow! by Lucille Colandro
Snowmen at Night by Caralyn Buehner
Snow Party by Harriet Ziefert

Other activites were...
*we danced the snowman pokey {top hat, carrot nose, stick arms, whole snowman self}
*played bean bag toss into 2 hula hoops laying on the ground to look like a snowman
*popped bubbles

 Happy Winter!

No comments: