9.30.2009

Sauteed Cherry Tomato Sauce

Since we have an over abundance of tomatoes in our garden, I have been trying to come up with new things to do with them. I made salsa the other day to go with taco night. I have always done chunky salsa before and haven't been a huge fan of it. So this time I decided to put it in the blender and puree it...turned out more like the Mexican restaurant salsa we love.

The other thing I decided to try was homemade pasta sauce. I have never attempted this before so I was a little nervous but it turned out really good. {Not the best container but I didn't have a jar to put it in!}

Ingredients:
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 small onion
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 cups cherry tomatoes
salt and pepper
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp or less dried red pepper flakes
3 tsp dried basil
2 tsp dried parsley
15 oz can tomato sauce

Directions:
Puree the garlic in a food processor fitted with the chopping blade. Add onion and pulse 3-4 times, until finely chopped.

Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat until hot. Reduce heat to medium and add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened...about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, place cherry tomatoes in the food processor and pulse 5-6 times...I wanted to make it more smooth than chunky. {I had to do this in batches because my food processor is VERY small!}

Once all tomatoes are chopped, add them to the onion/garlic mixture. Also add in spices and tomato sauce. Cover and simmer, stirring frequently, about 15-20 minutes.

Serve with your favorite pasta!

No comments: