7.13.2011

{living} in new colors...

We have been talking about repainting our living/dining area for awhile now. So over the 4th of July weekend we dove right in!

Here is what the walls looked like before. We really loved the green but have been living with it for 10 years now....so it was time for change!
Little Bit was so excited to paint....here she is going to town with the paint brush. She wrote letters, drew pictures and just plain had fun!

We are loving the finished look. The color is a brownish yellow color...called Wood Lily. If you are a Stampin' Up fan I think it is most similar to So Saffron! ;)

So....with new paint color comes updated decor! I decided to go with a beachy theme with yellow and blue accents. I tried to repurpose things from other areas of the house or from storage as much possible.

On the mantel I used some blue Ball jars...one filled with lemon heads and the other some yellow flowers. I also added a family pic from one of our trips to the beach. Twine balls also have a beachy feel to me...so I used quite a few of those throughout the room. Books are also a great way to add height....I tried to chose titles and spines that matched the theme.

On top of our bookcase I have my favorite pic of Little Bit's first time on the beach! I also have some shells and a twine ball. For some height I used another blue jar and added some long twigs. I then tied some twine around the top of the jar.

Here's a close up...I'm really loving this!

Lemons add the perfect yellow touch inside a black wire basket. {Lemons are from the Dollar Tree!} More shells, twine balls, and books round out this sofa table display.

Last but not least....the mirrored shelf. I spelled SUMMER with scrabble tiles...love using them {have you used them in your decor yet?!}! The shelf also holds a jar of shells, twine ball and blue vase found at Dollar General.

5 comments:

Jackie said...

What a fun and refreshing change Mandy!

jess@balancing the dream said...

great job! i love the twigs in a jar!!

JenMarie said...

GORGEOUS!!!

Kelli W said...

I love the new color! The scrabble tiles on the shelf are really cute too!

DeniseB said...

Love the new color, makes the space seem bigger too.