8.10.2010

Intro to Alpha...

We are getting into the swing of things with our "school"! I have taken ideas from all over and hope to compile them here to share with you...if you are interested! This is what we started with last week. My goal is to get in 3 days a week but if we are able to do more then it will be a bonus!

{Circle Time}

Calendar...Talk about the month and days of the week. I printed the month of August out using the calendar template in Publisher. Little Bit puts a sticker on the day we are discussing. I am trying to coordinate the stickers with the letter of the week. We just used stars for the intro week.

Reading...I try to incorporate one book that has the days of the week.

Day by Day A Week Goes By by Carol Diggory Shields

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin

Click Clack Quackity Quack by Doreen Cronin

LMNO peas by Keith Baker

Dr. Seuss's ABC book

Thomas's ABC Book

Songs/Rhymes...This week we just sang the ABCs!



{Activities}

Coloring...I just had a few random coloring sheets that had ABCs on them.

Letter Bingo...I used this site to print a 3x3 bingo card. There are several themes to choose from and it will automatically fill in a card for you. Or you could print a blank card and fill it in yourself. I selected uppercase alphabet. Then we used large buttons as the markers.

Letter Match Up...I printed the Letter Match up featured on Confessions of a Homeschooler. I had Little Bit search through wooden magnetic letters {from the Dollar Tree} and place them on the corresponding letter on the sheet. When she matched the letter she would make its sound and say the item pictured that started with that letter.

Fishing for Letters...I put the magnetic letters in a basket and had Little Bit use the fishing pole from a Melissa & Doug puzzle to catch a letter!


Letter Puzzle...I copied this idea from The Activity Mom. Using the same Dollar Tree letter magnets I traced them on some colored cardstock and then let Little Bit find the matches.


{Snack}

alphabet pretzels {Meijer brand}, Scrabble Jr. Cheese Its, alphabet fruit snacks, Alphabits cereal

No comments: